If you have not had a chance, please check out Part 1 and Part 2 of the Slippery Slope series before jumping into My Shakeology Why. To briefly summarize: Part 1 tackled the questions about who needs supplements and why they need them. Part 2 then helped identify and describe the categories of nutrients that are most commonly deficient in the North American diet.
With so many products on the market, where can you find a reliable and trustworthy resource for a daily or occasional supplement?*
You may want to grab a healthy snack. This one is a long one but a good one! 🙂
I have a series of questions I ask when choosing the supplements that I personally use:
Is the product primarily made from high quality whole food ingredients?
Is the product made with no artificial ingredients and especially no artificial sweeteners?
Is the product manufactured by a company that stands on integrity and has a consistent reputation of creating quality products in the health, fitness and nutrition industry?
Is the manufacture of the product sustainable for us and our environment?
Why I choose Shakeology®†π:
1. WHOLE FOODS: Finding a product that is made from whole foods or minimally processed foods is the first priority when I am choosing a supplement. In my personal research of personally reviewing ingredients labels of the most popular supplements available on the market, Shakeology® always ranks #1 when it comes to filling this bill.
Why am I such a stickler on whole foods as a daily source form my nutrition and supplement?
It’s simple, you can’t reengineer or redesign whole foods—try as many companies might. From a biological standpoint (how our body responds to what we take in), you can’t get the complete benefit of a supplement when it is not derived from whole foods. What you end up with is just pieces and parts of real food rather than the “complete matrix.”
Shakeology® ingredients include high-quality and potent foods, herbs, grasses and ingredients that are minimally processed to preserve the integrity of each ingredient. Minimal processing ensures the benefits are delivered in bioavailable ways.
Many “health’ shakes on the market today are soy based or sweetened with sucralose or high fructose corn syrup. Artificial sweeteners can actually increase insulin, increase carb cravings and inhibit weight loss. Shakeology® does not contain soy, artificial colors, or sweeteners.
2. PROTEIN: High quality protein is made up of the essential amino acids needed to build and repair lean muscle, improve the condition of skin and hair, and helps reduce cravings.
Shakeology® contains a protein blend that includes whey, sacha inch, chia, flax, quinoa, amaranth and pea. Vegan formulas are also available.
3. VITAMINS and MINERALS: While the majority of the vitamins and minerals in Shakeology come for the whole food sources (“nutrition right off the vine,” as the product creator would say), the product then goes one step further.. Shakeology backs up those whole food nutritents with an additional well-balanced vitamin/mineral profile. I like to think of it as insurance on the nutrient insurance. Why is this extra bit necessary? Daren wanted to protect against the fluctuating nutrition profile of crops.
Shakeology contains 13 of the essential vitamins and 10 of the essential minerals needed for proper body function.
4. ENZYMES: Enzymes are vital to optimal health. Enzymes are made from amino acids and are the fuel for the chemical reactions of every single process in the entire body including: digestion, absorption of the nutrients we eat, and the creation of new cells in our bodies.
Why do most people require enzyme supplementation?
Two reasons. For one, enzymes are only present in the last few days before a food is ripened. Secondly, enzymes are killed during the cooking process. Unless you are growing your own food and eating it raw, the addition of enzymes is critical.
Shakeology contains 7 necessary digestive enzymes.
5. PRE-and PRO-BIOTICS: The proper balance of good intestinal bacteria (probiotics) helps our bodies to digest and absorb the carbs and sugars that we eat. Our body can produce its own probiotics if we feed it prebiotics but many of us eat in a way that creates a great environment for unhealthy bacteria to survive and thrive. Result? Candida, fibromylagia, and mental/emotional fatigue.
Shakeology contains Yacon root, a pre-biotic that creates a healthy environment that allows the creation of healthy probiotics.
6. PHYTONUTRIENTS AND ADAPTOGEN HERBS: Phytochemicals are non-nutritive chemicals found in plants that have been shown to protect us from disease. Adaptogens protect the body from stress, support endocrine and hormone balance, contribute to a strong immune system, and support brain function to help promote alert thinking and a positive mood.
Shakeology contains a blend of supergreens and phytonutrients, including mooring, chlorella, spiraling, spinach and kale.
7. SUSTAINABLE: When Darin Olien set out to create Shakeology, he put an an emphasis not only on resourcing high quality ingredients that he could find but on resourcing the highest quality ingredients that would also support Fair Trade.
The 70+ whole food ingredients in Shakeology are resourced from around the world. In other words When you choose to make Shakeology® a part of your daily nutrition you are also helping create jobs for and train farmers in sustainable cultivation practices so our environment is protected and the risk of deforestation is reduced. How cool is that?
So what does this mean to all of us back in the US and Canada?
1 serving of Shakeology is equal to 5 plates of salad plus all the vitamins you need daily. Who has the time or desire to eat 5 plates of salad each day? Not to mention the cost!
Speaking of cost, what would you expect to pay for a healthy meal? If you consider a value meal from a fast food restaurant costs at least $3-7, Would you expect to pay more? You certainly would not expect to pay less! Surprisingly, Shakeology is on the low end of that price range.
Bottom Line: For me, Shakeology takes the guesswork out of it all. Even with my obsession over nutrition, I still can’t manage to get it right every day of every meal. Shakeology gives me that dense nutrient insurance in one delicious shake a day, rather than a collection of pills and powders.
If you would like more information on Shakeology, just CONTACT ME.
As much as I personally love Shakeology and find the benefits irreplaceable, some people can’t tolerate it because of a certain food allergy/intolerance or an ingredient conflict with a medication. In that case, my second resource for supplement recommendations comes from Dr John Berardi, owner of Precision Nutrition and respected researcher, professor and nutrition coach. You can read his recommendation in the link below:
If you compare a 30-day supply of Shakeology vs Precision Nutrition recommendations, the costs are very close.
There are a lot of products on the market claiming to do great things. A lot of comparison and finger pointing and claims of “my shake is better than your shake.” The best suggestion I can offer is to choose a product and put it up against the 4 questions I shared in the beginning of this article. From there you will be on the trail to finding a product that fits your needs based on your current habits, fitness level and future goals.
*Getting your nutrition and supplement right is a very individual process. The best resource is always to work personally with a Registered Dietician, licensed nutritionist or other medical professional.
†After personally using Shakeology® for 5 years, I chose to distribute the product so I could have a nutrition solution for those clients I coach. Please CONTACT ME if you would like to learn how to make Shakeology a part of your daily dose of dense nutrition.
πShakeology was created by Exercise Physiologist and Nutritionist Daren Olien. Starting in 2005 Darin traveled the planet with one purpose in mind: to discover new and underutilized herbs, superfoods, and medicinal plants that would play key ingredients in products of his company, Daren’s Naturals . In 2006, the Beachbody company partnered with Darin to bring his extensive supplement knowledge to the development of a nutritional support product recognized today as Shakeology®. Darin was a perfect match for the well-established mission of Beachbody-to help people lead a healthy and fulfilling life. Shakeology is now nutrition cornerstone of the formula Fitness+Nutrition+Support=Success. By resourcing the ingredients from around the globe, Shakeology also helps develop the economy in otherwise indigent countries.