Next Challenge: November 14th
Kitchen Makeover Starts: November 11th
TAKE THE ATHLETIC RIDER WHOLE FOODS FOR 5 CHALLENGE
What is it?
The Athletic Rider Whole Foods for 5 Challenge is a FREE 5-Day nutrition and fitness challenge for riders who are willing to commit just 5 days to eating few (if any) processed foods plus daily fitness outside of the saddle. The challenge group will take place “virtually” in a private Facebook group and is hosted by Leah Hinnefeld, a lifelong rider and certified personal trainer.
Why do you need a 5 Day Challenge?
Between traveling, horse show food, fair food or simply fast food on the farm, the basic principles of healthy eating can get lost faster than a needle in a haystack! Sometimes a rider just needs to get back to basics to learn or be reminded of how necessary good nutrition is to overall rider fitness and health.
What are the details?
Each Participant in the Whole Foods Challenge will receive:
1. Access to several resources for clean eating recipes, cooking tips and shopping lists,
2. A 10 minute workout that does not require equipment and can be done in your own home, OR free access to live streaming of many of the same programs that we use in the 60 day Athletic Rider Fitness Boot Camp,
3. A positive group setting for support and accountability as well as information and education about:
- healthy food preparation,
- healthy snacks,
- carbohydrate/protein/fat basics,
- statistical information on the relationship between chronic disease and the excesses or deficiencies of specific nutrients,
- vitamins and minerals as essential nutrients,
- nutrients contained in foods or supplements,
- importance of water and hydration status, and
- information on reading food labels and how to identify GMO foods on those labels.
4. Our group opens the Friday before to allow time for a kitchen makeover and shopping. Whole foods eating starts on a Monday and lasts until for 5 days.
What am I expected to do?
Each Participant in the Whole Foods Challenge commits to:
1. Check in with a daily summary of what you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks,
2. Drink 2 Liters of water per day (about 68 ounces),
3. Do one workout a day (no, riding does not count),
4. Get at least 7 hours of sleep,
5. Actively contribute to group discussions, recipe sharing, and support of other challenge group members,
6. Commit to making 3-5 positive nutrition changes during the 5-Day period of the challenge,
7. Have Fun!
What 7 Simple Changes changes should I commit to doing for just 5 days to get the best results?
1. Eating clean whole foods. That means nothing from a bag or box,
2. Drink only water. One cup of coffee per day if you must but no sodas, diet sodas, juices, etc,
3. Choose lean proteins, limiting or eliminating deli meats and other highly processed proteins,
4. Replace pasta, breads and wraps with whole grains such as quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat and millet,
5. Limit dairy during the week of the challenge. Treat cheese as spice-not a main course or a side and use milk substitutes (almond, rice, coconut) as often as possible,
5. No alcohol. Even if red wine is good for your heart ;-),
6. No Fast Food-you didn’t think I would let this one in, did you…
7. Eliminate added sugar. (Come on! It’s only 5 days-you can do it!). Sugar from fruits? No problem!
HEY-I said they were SIMPLE changes-not always easy ones!
Remember the goal is to move AWAY from processed foods and toward a daily intake of nutritious mouth-watering whole foods!
To take the Challenge, please fill out the form below: